Image Map

Gazpacho

A few weeks ago, I made some homemade gazpacho.  To my surprise, one of my best friends was also at home making her favorite recipe for gazpacho.  So, we had a gazpacho exchange to compare recipes.  She thought mine was better because the flavor had more kick to it and I liked hers better because of the fresh herbs and fine consistency.  So in an attempt to appeal to the masses, I'm posting both recipes.  One day, I'll merge the two together and create "The Perfect Gazpacho!"

Start with Fresh Ingredients
A food processor makes this a lot easier



 Recipe #1 (Danna's recipe)
 2 cans (14.5 oz) peeled tomatoes
2 ribs celery, cut into 2 inch chunks
1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
1 medium onion, cut into chunks
1 small green pepper, cut into chunks
2 tsp snipped fresh parsley
1 tsp snipped fresh chives
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 cups vegetable juice cocktail
black pepper
hot sauce
 
1. Place one can tomatoes, celery and cucumber in blender.  Cover and blend at CHOP until finely chopped, about 10-15 seconds.  Pour into large bowl. 
 
2. Place second can tomatoes, onion, green pepper, parsley, chives, garlic, olive oil, and red wine vinegar in blender.  Cover and blend at CHOP until finely chopped.  Pour into bowl.
 
3.  Stir in vegetable juice, black pepper, and hot sauce.  Refrigerate until well chilled, about 6-8 hours.
Recipe #2  (My recipe)
1 (10 3/4 oz) can tomato soup, undiluted
1 1/2 cups bloody mary mix
1 1/4 cup water
1 cup chopped cucumber
1 cup chopped tomato
 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
 1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 tbs. red wine vinegar
1 tbs. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. pepper


Combine all ingredients, cover and chill for 6 hours.  
Regardless of how you make your gazpacho, don't forget to add some sour cream and croutons! It really makes it all come together nicely.  Serve it along side a homemade grilled cheese sandwich and you are pretty close to heaven.  Enjoy!
 




1 comment:

  1. Dear SP,

    I have been thinking about Gazpacho! THANKS for this post!! Im going to try BOTH recipes while in HHI. I'll let you know how they turn out for me (the non-cook). I found a recipe in Southern Lady for Watermelon Gazpacho. I was dying to try but never got around to it. Maybe next year.

    Mal

    ReplyDelete